Job Opportunities

Information & Referral Specialist - Full-time

Vermont 2-1-1, a statewide comprehensive Information and Referral Program of the United Ways of Vermont is growing. We are seeking a full-time Information and Referral Specialist.

An image of a table surrounded by chairs and a Vermont 2-1-1 banner in the background.

What is an Information & Referral Specialist?

An I&R Specialist is a client-focused position responsible for leveraging technology to provide assessment, problem solving and referral assistance over the phone, email & text message for clients with complicated needs. A successful I&R Specialist knows the importance of compassion, advocacy, cultural competency and follow-up assistance to help clients access the services needed to build and sustain healthy lives. This position requires a creative intellectual with critical thinking skills and a desire to help those in need.

The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field, an Associate’s Degree plus a minimum of one year’s experience working in health, human, or community services, or comparable High School diploma with 3+ years experience in social service and/or a contact center environment.

Computer experience is required and database software experience is preferred. Must be able to handle crisis situations and deal with difficult inquirers. The ability to work a flexible schedule including early evening hours is essential.

Interested persons should provide a cover letter and resume to Stephanie.

Applications will be accepted until position filled.




Vermont 2-1-1 Launches New User-Friendly Online Search

Press Release | Vermont Business Magazine


Attorney General Donovan and Vermont 2-1-1 to collaborate on "Elder Protection Initiative"

Press Release


Vermont 2-1-1 joins the American Red Cross of New Hampshire and Vermont in celebrating the 2018 "Everyday Heroes Awards"

Press Release 


Vermont 2-1-1 referrals now available by text message

Press Release


Age Well and United Ways of Vermont 2-1-1 Announce Innovative Partnership for Vermont Senior Helpline

Press Release (4/19/2017)


Local officials work to help human trafficking victims



Vermont 2-1-1 and Emergency Shelters Gear Up for Cold Weather

ABC Local 22


Vermont 2-1-1 and Emergency Responders Recognized



Standards of Excellence Achieved - 

Vermont 2-1-1 Earns National Accreditation

Accreditation Press Release


United Way’s Vermont 211 program stands ready to help stop it. Victims and potential victims of HT can dial 2-1-1 and get connected to a local facilitator, law enforcement and/or the National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC – Polaris, 24/7 hotline)

Human Trafficking


A new statewide phone line to support families with young children was announced today by the United Ways of Vermont.

Help Me Grow Phone Line Seeks to Help Families

Department of Health

United Ways of Vermont and Vermont 2-1-1 celebrate the grand opening of it's headquarters and state of the art contact center.  Read all about it below.

Vermont 2-1-1 opens new call center.


The Working Toward Wellness grant, offered by the Vermont Department of Health, provides funding and technical assistance for the development or improvement of workplace wellness programs across the state. United Ways of Vermont/Vermont 2-1-1 was notified as a recipient of the grant!  Read more below.

Working Towards Wellness Grant Winners

This website is powered by Joomla! The software and default templates on which it runs are Copyright 2005 Open Source Matters. All other content and data, including data entered into this website and templates added after installation, are copyrighted by their respective copyright owners.

If you want to distribute, copy or modify Joomla!, you are welcome to do so under the terms of the GNU General Public License. If you are unfamiliar with this license, you might want to read 'How To Apply These Terms To Your Program' and the 'GNU General Public License FAQ'.

Citizen Assistance Registry in case of an Emergency (CARE)

For Vermonters who may need special assistance in an emergency or evacuation, please fill out the form below to register with E-911The information is for use by emergency responders during an event. The registry will live in the E-911 Database. This is NOT a public portal.

Registration Form

                       Disaster Information and Resources


Contact Number


FEMA: Federal Emergency Management Agency

TTY: 1-800-462-7585 
or register online:

Only send Vermonters to register through FEMA once their community is designated a disaster by Presidential Declaration

SBA: Small Business Administration

1-800-659-2955 or online:

For business owners to apply for low or no interest disaster loans

DEMHS: Vermont Emergency Management


Emergency services only

Click here to find information about simple preparation tips during disaster situations

Vermont HAZMAT

24/7 Hotline: 1-800-641-5005

National Response Center:

Hazardous material spill reports

Agency of Agriculture

Non-emergency: 802-828-2430

Animal Health Emergency number:

EPA National Response Center for Pesticide Spill: 1-800-424-8802

Statewide, for farm-related issues (crops & livestock).  Emergency phone ONLY for immediate livestock health concerns and/or pesticide spills

Agency of Natural Resources

Department of Environmental Conservation

Environmental Assistance Hotline:

Manages water & air quality; regulates solid & hazardous wastes

Agency of Transportation

5-1-1 has been discontinued, please use:

Road closures & transportation related concerns (511-online is automated and 24/7)

Agency of Commerce & Community Development (ACCD)


In addition to reporting business damage to local town offices, this number is available for businesses to get the appropriate documents for damage assessment

Vermont Department of Health

1-800-464-4343 or online:

For information about drinking water safety & general information health-risks associated with clean-up efforts (e.g. mold information)

Economic Services Division (ESD) Benefits Service Center


Central resource for state benefits such as 3SquaresVT, fuel assistance, and health insurance

Community Action Agencies

St. Johnsbury - (802) 748-6040
Newport - (802) 334-7316

Burlington - (802) 863-6248
Middlebury - (802) 388-2285

Rutland - (802) 775-0878
Bennington - (802) 447-7515

Westminster - (802) 722-4575
Toll-free - (800) 464-9951

Barre (802) 479-1053
Toll-free: (800) 639-1053

These agencies provide a variety of core services in their communities, including emergency support and assistance

Vermont Legal Aid

Statewide: 1-800-889-2047


Legal assistance for low-income Vermonters; legal advice over the phone

American Red Cross of New Hampshire and Vermont

24/7: 1-800-660-9130

For disaster services & emergency needs (e.g. food, shelter, water)

SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)

Disaster Distress Line: 1-800-985-5990

Text TALKWITHUS to 66746

If in need of an interpreter:
Call 1-800-985-5990 and press 2

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters


Vermont Disaster Relief Fund


Fund set up for survivors of disaster; to provide financial assistance to homeowners with unmet needs related to the storm. Refer to network of case managers


Executive Director: 802-760-0042

Program Officer: 802-585-9382

Volunteer opportunities related to the disaster (statewide)     

AKA: Americorps

HandsOn Network Volunteer Center

For more information please contact 

Online database for disaster-related volunteer opportunities


Additional information