Citizen Assistance Registry in case of an Emergency (CARE)

For Vermonters who may need special assistance in an emergency or evacuation, please fill out the form below to register with E-911The information is for use by emergency responders during an event. The registry will live in the E-911 Database. This is NOT a public portal.

Registration Form

                       Disaster Information and Resources


Contact Number


FEMA: Federal Emergency Management Agency

TTY: 1-800-462-7585 
or register online:

Only send Vermonters to register through FEMA once their community is designated a disaster by Presidential Declaration

SBA: Small Business Administration

1-800-659-2955 or online:

For business owners to apply for low or no interest disaster loans

DEMHS: Vermont Emergency Management


Emergency services only

Click here to find information about simple preparation tips during disaster situations

Vermont HAZMAT

24/7 Hotline: 1-800-641-5005

National Response Center:

Hazardous material spill reports

Agency of Agriculture

Non-emergency: 802-828-2430

Animal Health Emergency number:

EPA National Response Center for Pesticide Spill: 1-800-424-8802

Statewide, for farm-related issues (crops & livestock).  Emergency phone ONLY for immediate livestock health concerns and/or pesticide spills

Agency of Natural Resources

Department of Environmental Conservation

Environmental Assistance Hotline:

Manages water & air quality; regulates solid & hazardous wastes

Agency of Transportation

5-1-1 has been discontinued, please use:

Road closures & transportation related concerns (511-online is automated and 24/7)

Agency of Commerce & Community Development (ACCD)


In addition to reporting business damage to local town offices, this number is available for businesses to get the appropriate documents for damage assessment

Vermont Department of Health

1-800-464-4343 or online:

For information about drinking water safety & general information health-risks associated with clean-up efforts (e.g. mold information)

Economic Services Division (ESD) Benefits Service Center


Central resource for state benefits such as 3SquaresVT, fuel assistance, and health insurance

Community Action Agencies

St. Johnsbury - (802) 748-6040
Newport - (802) 334-7316

Burlington - (802) 863-6248
Middlebury - (802) 388-2285

Rutland - (802) 775-0878
Bennington - (802) 447-7515

Westminster - (802) 722-4575
Toll-free - (800) 464-9951

Barre (802) 479-1053
Toll-free: (800) 639-1053

These agencies provide a variety of core services in their communities, including emergency support and assistance

Vermont Legal Aid

Statewide: 1-800-889-2047


Legal assistance for low-income Vermonters; legal advice over the phone

American Red Cross of New Hampshire and Vermont

24/7: 1-800-660-9130

For disaster services & emergency needs (e.g. food, shelter, water)

SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)

Disaster Distress Line: 1-800-985-5990

Text TALKWITHUS to 66746

If in need of an interpreter:
Call 1-800-985-5990 and press 2

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters


Vermont Disaster Relief Fund


Fund set up for survivors of disaster; to provide financial assistance to homeowners with unmet needs related to the storm. Refer to network of case managers


Executive Director: 802-760-0042

Program Officer: 802-585-9382

Volunteer opportunities related to the disaster (statewide)     

AKA: Americorps

HandsOn Network Volunteer Center

For more information please contact [email protected] 

Online database for disaster-related volunteer opportunities


Additional information